This week we’ve some Christmas turkey tips with thanks to Bord Bia. If you have a Christmas dining or cooking dilemma that you need help with, simply comment below or on our Facebook page and we’ll do our best to source the answer!
A Guide to Turkey Sizes:
- 3kg serves 6-7 people
- 4kg serves 8-9 people
- 6kg serves 12-13 people
- 8k serves 16-18 people
- 10kg serves 20 people
- Take the turkey out of the fridge an hour before roasting to allow it to come to room temperature.
- Weigh the turkey after you have stuffed it to work out the cooking time. For turkeys up to 8kgs – allow 15 to 20 minutes per ½ kg. For turkeys over 8 kgs, allow 10 to 15 minutes per ½ kg
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7, 220°C (450°F). Cover the turkey loosely with tin foil and roast for ¾ hour then reduce the heat to Gas Mark 3, 170°C (325°F). For the last half hour remove the tin foil.
- To test if the turkey is cooked, push a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh – the juices should run clear. If they are pinkish, cook for 15 minutes more, then test again. Alternatively use a meat thermometer as this will eliminate guesswork.
- When cooked, transfer the turkey to a platter, cover with foil, then a couple of tea towels, and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes before carving. This will make the turkey easier to carve and it also gives you a chance to turn up the heat on the oven and finish the ham and roast potatoes.