This week we’ve the tips for the perfect Christmas Ham. If you have a Christmas dining or cooking dilemma that you need help with, simply comment below or on our Facebook page and we’ll do our best to source the answer!
- Choose the right sized ham e.g. a 4 kg fillet of ham will feed 10 people and allows a little extra if your family like to help themselves to more on Christmas night!
- Leave the skin on the ham when simmering. It can easily be removed after cooking and adds to the flavour.
- For extra flavour, add some vegetables and a bay leaf to the cooking water. Adding cider, apple juice or orange peel to the cooking water intensifies the flavours and gives the meat some extra zing!
- Do not throw the cooking water out. It can be used to keep the ham moist when roasting in the oven.
- A ham glaze adds a sweet flavour to the ham by providing a contrast to its natural saltiness. It also adds a nice colour and texture to the finished product.
- Freeze any remaining cooking water in portions as stock for making soups and sauces.
Quick and delicious ideas for using up left-over Turkey and Ham:
- Add to Macaroni and Cheese to make a nutritious and filling supper that all the family will enjoy
- Chop up and add to scrambled eggs and omelettes
- Combine with a tin of tomatoes, some garlic and basil for a tasty pasta sauce
- Cooked ham and/or turkey, spinach, cheese and eggs are a delicious combination for quiches and tarts
- Use in a salad with chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado, mixed leaves and a blue cheese dressing
- Toast some bread and top with sliced ham, roasted peppers, a few sprigs of thyme and a slice of cheese. Pop under the grill until the cheese is bubbling. Delicious!
- Team up with a fruity chutney or stuffing to make sandwiches on St. Stephens Day
- The turkey carcase and ham bone will make wonderful stock for soup