With the festive entertainment season fast approaching, keep your guests happy with these Mini Christmas Cranberry Crackers by Siúcra & Catherine Fulvio. Whether it’s for a Christmas party or New Year’s drinks, this is the recipe to create some mouth-watering mini sweet treats. This easy yet impressive canapé recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser!
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 60g melted butter
- For the coulis
- 100g fresh or frozen cranberries
- 50g raspberries
- 60g Siúcra Granulated Sugar
For the filling
- 150g dried cranberries, soaked in 100ml orange juice for 10 minutes.
- 50g Siúcra Granulated Sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 orange, zest only
- Siúcra Icing Sugar, to dust
- Siucra Roll Out Icing, for holly leaves
- Green colouring (optional)
- 150ml cream, to serve
- 4 tbsp. Siúcra Icing Sugar
- String, for tying
To prepare the coulis
- Place all the ingredients into a sauce and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool before blending until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C /fan 170°C /gas 5.
- Line 2 baking trays with parchment.
- To prepare the crackers, divide the pastry into 2 sheets and stick together with melted butter.
- Cut the filo pastry with a pizza cutter or clean pair of scissors into 6 equal rectangles and do the same with the other sheet. Cover with a damp tea towel while shaping the crackers.
- Drain the cranberries and combine with the sugar, cinnamon and orange zest.
- Brush each rectangle with butter, spoon in some filling and roll into a cracker shape, sealing the edge with butter. Tie each end with string.
- Place on the baking tray and repeat until all finished.
- Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes until golden.
To shape the leaves for decorating
- Colour the roll out icing if you are using green colour paste.
- Now roll out on a clean surface that is lightly dusted with icing sugar, cut 3 leaves for each cracker.
- Once the crackers are cool, dust with icing sugar and place 3 leaves on each cracker.
- For the cream, whip the cream and sugar lightly until soft peaks form.
- Snip the string off the crackers, dust with icing sugar and serve with the coulis and cream.