Dining at Lusty Beg Island, winner of Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence 2013, has just become even more appealing as the private island resort introduces a delicious new Springtime menu. With an emphasis on rustic, hearty Irish dishes all made from the best local ingredients, the new choices include Shepherd’s pie made with Irish Lamb Shank (see below for recipe), Black Pudding, scotch egg and local Fermanagh sausage, Mildly spiced pulled pork wrap and Killybegs Cod & Chips.
Recipe: Lamb Shank Shepherd’s Pie
- Decant a bottle of wine into a pan and allow to boil, then cool.
- Add 4 lamb shanks, 1 carrot, 2 celery sticks, one peeled Spanish onion, 4 peeled cloves of garlic, small bunch of Lemon Thyme and 3 bay leaves. Allow to marinade overnight.
- Remove Lamb Shank from the liquor and brown in clarified butter.
- Add 1½ litres of lamb stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 2½ hours until the meat is falling off the bone.
- Pass liquor through a fine sieve into a saucepan and reduce to a syrup-like consistency.
- Shred meat off the bone.
- Finely dice the veg and add to the syrup’s stock. Discard the herbs.
- Season and add chopped parsley.
- Place in a baking dish. Top with parsley and English Mustard mash and grated parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with side salad from the Lusty Beg Island vegetable garden!
Serving traditional rustic dishes with a Lusty Beg twist, all meat and fish is sourced from within a 30 mile radius and there is complete dedication to using sustainable fish. Meals are garnished with freshly picked herbs grown in the hotel garden.